Wednesday, May 28, 2008

RESEARCHING ANAGLYPHIC IMAGES

Firstly today I decided to do 2 short films just in the lab of still objects. I got some instructions from a forum on how to create an anaglyphic image to use with 3d glasses. No special equipment is needed to view this film once the glasses are worn.The first take was for the left eye which I imported into final cut pro on V1. The 2nd take was of the same objects but I shifted the camera over to the right a couple of cm before filming. This was then put onto V2, under V1 in fcp. I deleted the audio as it was not needed. Click here to see how I got the effect. Once this effect was done I tried to buy some red and cyan (a mix of blue and green) glasses to see if it had worked but unluckily I couldn't get any but have ordered some off ebay. If this works then I know what software I am using. Last night I tried the 3d glasses effect in AE, which gave the magic eye look...if you adjust your eyes the image produces a 3rd middle image that stands out, like in the old picture viewers. I am not sure how this would work with glasses though.
I looked up distances between lenses and found that an experiment had been done where the cameras were 100 feet apart. This produced a good 3d image but appeared very small as the lenses act like your eyes, therefore, eyes that wide apart could only come from a huge person, giving the illusion of viewing a tiny subject. I don't want my audience to feel a lot bigger than the projection so I will experiment with different distances, probably very close together.
I came across an Arrivision 3d lens which fixes on to the camera's lens and divides it in the middle, top and bottom. The top is the left eye and bottom the right. However, using this method, you also need 2 projectors with special lenses. If i can do it without this it will be great. Another option is digital stereo projection and this is the best one I think. Polarized glasses are used and also 2 projectors.
Tomorrow I need to choreograph ready for Sunday and more research into 3d.

No comments: